Brigham Young University Homepage

Who Can Work on Campus?


To be eligible to work on campus during fall or winter semester, a student must meet one of the following enrollment criteria:

Resident Students

Undergraduate students must be enrolled in at least 6.0 credit hours in a Day Continuing (degree seeking) program during Fall and Winter semesters.

Graduate students must be accepted into a BYU graduate program and be enrolled in at least 2.0 credit hours per semester.

International Students

Undergraduate students must be enrolled in at least 12.0 credit hours per semester.

Graduate students must be accepted into a BYU graduate program and be enrolled in at least 9.0 credit hours unless otherwise authorized by International Services.

Leave of Absence/Deferment

If you choose to take a leave of absence or defer, you will not be eligible to begin or continue student employment until you return to school and are enrolled in the required number of credits (see above).

Prior to Obtaining Employment
There may be governmental restrictions placed on students from foreign countries who work while attending school. For this reason, all International Students are required to contact the BYU International Services Office to determine their employment eligibility and to obtain a Work Permit which clears them for campus employment. International Students need employment verification forms from both the International Office and the Department that is hiring them to take to the Social Security Office to receive a Social Security Card.

International Services
Enoc Flores, Director
1351 WSC
(801) 422-2695

For more information on employment regulations for International Students, visit International Services.

Hours per Week
For those who are eligible for employment, strict regulations are placed on the number of hours they may work while attending school. Federal law prohibits International Students from working over 20 hours per week during Fall and Winter semesters; those that do are no longer eligible to work in the United States and will be terminated immediately from their campus jobs. There are exceptions for students under the Asian Relief Act and for students applying for Permanent Residency who have an E.A.D. Card issued by the Citizenship and Immigration Services (C.I.S.). Please contact our office if you have any questions about this policy.
During their yearly holiday, International Students may work up to 40 hours per week without taking classes. This is generally during Spring and Summer Terms but occasionally during Fall or Winter Semesters.

English Language Center
English Language Center students are eligible to work up to 20 hours per week without taking any credits. However, unlike other International Students, ELC students may not exceed 20 hours per week during Spring and Summer Terms. ELC students have a very short break between terms where they are allowed to work up to 40 hours. ELC Students must renew work permits for each new Semester of enrollment.

Evening Classes and Independent Study

Day-Continuing students may include credits from Salt Lake Center and Evening Classes towards student employment eligibility.  Students enrolled in Independent Study, Salt Lake Center, Evening Classes, Post-Baccalaureate and audited courses only do not meet the enrollment requirement to qualify for student employment on campus.

Updated by the HRS Web Team, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT 84602 - Copyright 2008. All Rights Reserved.