On Your Move-Out Day | Cleaning Checklist | Deposit Refund
30-Day Termination Notice
You must give a minimum of a 30-day notice prior to vacating your apartment by submitting the Thirty-Day Notice of Termination online. Once your Termination Notice has been received, you will receive an acknowledgement message on your message board in My Housing Account.
If less than a 30-day notice is given, you will be liable for rent and electricity charges for 30 days after notification is received, or until someone else moves into the apartment, whichever occurs first. Apartments will be posted online as soon as possible, but will not be available for move-in until at least two weeks after tenants move out.
Any requests to modify or withdraw your Termination Notice must be approved by the Family Housing Review Committee. Requests may be submitted online via My Housing Account by clicking on Family Petitions under the Family Housing tab. For more information, contact the Campus Accommodations Office at 801-422-2611 or through the message board in My Housing Account.
All personal property must be removed and all cleaning must be completed no later than midnight on the move-out date you indicate on your Termination Notice. Any personal belongings left behind will be removed and disposed of, and you will be charged a disposal fee. You will be charged damage and/or cleaning fees if the apartment is not left clean and in good condition.
For those students graduating and who will no longer be attending BYU, the following move out dates apply:
- Winter-Spring Term 2013: July 31, 2013
- Summer Term 2013: August 20th, 2013
*Residents are still required to submit a 30-day termination notice.
Two Weeks Before Move-Out
- Cancel any newspaper/magazine subscriptions.
- Change your address online or send your Mail Forwarding Card to the United States Postal Service (USPS).
- Change your mailing address on myBYU.
- All furniture rented from Student Family Housing must be removed before you vacate. Please call 422-2549 to arrange a pickup time.
On Your Move-Out Day
All personal property must be removed and all cleaning must be completed no later than midnight on your move-out date indicated on your Termination Notice. Any personal belongings, furniture, or trash left behind in the apartment, balcony, stairwell, and/or storage lockers will be removed and disposed of, and you will be charged a removal fee. You will be charged damage and/or cleaning fees if the apartment is not left clean and in good condition.
Please note the following:
Please leave the "Emergency Safety Packet" in your pantry for future tenant use.
- Put all trash inside the dumpster; DO NOT leave furniture out by the dumpsters.
- Check behind and in all drawers, closets, and shelves (wipe as needed).
- Clean any other areas in the apartment that may be dirty.
- Lock the windows and doors and turn off all the lights in the apartment as you leave.
- If you move out during the summer months, turn off the thermostat. If you move out during the winter months, set the thermostat to 65 degrees.
- Leave all apartment and mail keys on the kitchen countertop. If you have been issued keys for the Multi-Purpose Building, leave those as well.
If the apartment and/or mail keys are not in the apartment at the time of inspection, you will be charged a $30 fee to re-key the apartment and a $30 fee to re-key the mailbox (total of $60).
You may come to the Wymount Terrace Office and pick up guideline information for cleaning. This will help you identify what is required and may help you avoid cleaning charges. If you have specific questions, you may telephone the Custodial Supervisor at 801-422-4180. A final inspection will be done after the apartment is vacated.
Please note the following cleaning guidelines (This list is not meant to be all-inclusive. You may contact the Wymount Terrace Office for more information):
- Shower/Tub: Scrub the shower stall and tub with non-abrasive cleanser and rinse thoroughly.
- Toilet: Clean the interior and exterior of the toilet, including seat and around the base.
- Clean the sink and mirror, including all soap and hard-water spots (mixing white vinegar with warm water 1 to 1 is a good, inexpensive solution for hard-water spots).
- Clean the medicine cabinet (inside and outside).
- Floor: Sweep and scrub all linoleum and tile surfaces, especially around the edges and corners.
- Light Bulbs: Replace any burned-out incandescent light bulbs and call Auxiliary Maintenance (422-4411) to replace fluorescent bulbs before you move out.
- Fixtures: Clean glass fixtures, light-switch plates, and electrical sockets.
- Floor: Sweep and scrub all vinyl and tile surfaces, especially around the edges and corners.
- Clean stove burners and surface underneath (lift off and place on the counter top for cleaning under burner).
- Broiler pan, range exterior, and range hood (top, underneath, and filter).
- Don't take the boiler pan out of the apartment.
- South Wymount: The oven needs to be completely cleaned. The oven is NOT self-cleaning. Oven cleaner is permitted (and in most cases required), but be sure to wipe off residue from oven cleaner.
- North Wymount: Oven is self-cleaning. Use the self-clean cycle, and then clean out the residue left behind. Do not use oven cleaner!
- Clean inside and out, including the seal around the doors.
- Clean all trays and shelves.
- Crisper shelf and drawers should be removed for cleaning and then placed inside again.
- Leave the refrigerator running with doors closed.
- Do not remove the ice trays for the apartment.
- Sink and Counters:
- Remove scuff marks and water spots and rinse well to remove soap residue.
- Scrub cabinets inside and out, including drawers, shelves, and doors.
LIVING ROOM, HALLS, & BEDROOMS
- Dust, pick up, and vacuum all carpets.
WALLS, DOORS, & DOOR FRAMES
- Clean pencil, crayon, food, and/or grease marks from the walls, doors, and door frames (but don't scrub so hard that you remove the paint).
- Wall Damage: Damage charges will be assessed for wall damage from screws, tacks, pins, picture hangers, stick-ons, tape, nails, etc. Spackle or patch marks are considered wall damage, and toothpaste used in nail holes will be charged for removal and repair. You are allowed four nails holes per room, but you will be charged for any additional nail holes.
- Clean all windows inside and out, including sills, frames, tracks, and screens. To remove the sliding window, lift it up and in.
- Dust and clean all levelor blinds; call Maintenance (801-422-4411) to have any bent/broken/missing slats repaired.
- Call Maintenance (801-422-4411) for any items that need to be repaired or replaced.
The $100 deposit you paid when you submitted the agreement for your apartment will first be applied to any cleaning or damage charges incurred, and then to any other outstanding debts to the University. Any remaining balance will be refunded to your student account within 30 days of your termination/liability date. You will also be notified on your Message Board in My Housing Account of any cleaning/damage/ replacement charges. Please keep your myBYU mailing address updated.